Manage your shares

Manage your shares

The topics covering on this page to assist you with managing your shares include:

  • Manage your shareholding online
  • E-Communications
  • Registrar contact details
  • Share fraud
  • Buy, sell or transfer shares
  • Transferring shares
  • ShareGift

Your shareholding is managed by our registrars, Computershare. Computershare are there to answer any queries about your shareholding and to help with the following matters:

  • Update your personal details including a change of name or address
  • Lost shares and replacements
  • Out of date dividend cheques
  • Old share certificates
  • Merge your shareholding if you have more than one account
  • Deceased shareholder
  • Change your communication preferences

Computershare can be contacted online, by phone or by post.

If you contact Computershare by post, please use one of their standard forms found here. These should be completed according to the instructions and then posted to the address shown on the form.

Manage your shareholding online

Visit Computershare at to manage your shareholding online quickly, easily and securely:

  • Check your current shareholding
  • Sign up for electronic communications
  • Change your address details
  • Receive your dividends directly into your bank/building society account
  • Register for our dividend reinvestment plan
  • Check to see if you have any outstanding dividend payments
  • Obtain tax information relating to your dividend payments

To view your account you will need your Shareholder Reference Number (SRN) which can be found on either your share certificate or a recent dividend tax voucher - the number is often preceded by the letter C or G.


To minimise our environmental impact, we encourage you to sign up to receive all shareholder communications electronically. To do this go to For each email registration by a Sainsbury's shareholder, a donation will be made to the Woodland Trust, the UK's leading woodland conservation charity.

Registrar contact details

Computershare Investor Services PLC
P. O. Box 82
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 7NH
Telephone: +44 (0)370 702 0106
(phone lines are open between 08.30 and 17.30 GMT)

For more information on understanding shares, read our Understanding Shares pdf.

Share fraud

Shareholders are advised to be very wary of any unsolicited advice, offers to buy shares at a discount or offers of free company annual reports. If you receive any unsolicited investment advice, whether over the telephone, through the post or by email:

Details of any share dealing facilities that the Company endorses are below`.

More detailed information on this or similar activity can be found on the FCA website

Buy, sell or transfer shares

To buy or sell your J Sainsbury plc ordinary shares, please visit your stockbroker or a high street bank who will usually be able to assist you. Alternatively, you may consider using:

  • The Share Centre Ltd who offer a postal dealing service. They can be contacted at The Share Centre, PO Box 2000, Oxford Road, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP21 8ZB. Telephone: 01296 414141 or Freephone 08000 282812 and quote Sainsbury’s; or,
  • Computershare who offer a telephone and internet facility which gives shareholders the opportunity to trade at a known price. The telephone service is available from 8.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays, on telephone number 0370 703 0084. The internet share dealing service gives shareholders the option to submit instructions to trade online. More information can be found by visiting

Further information and detailed terms and conditions are available on request by calling either provider.

Transferring shares

If a buyer and seller of shares agree, they can transfer shares off market by using a stock transfer form, rather than going to a bank or stockbroker. Please read the guidance notes carefully and if you need help completing this form you should contact an advisor.


If you have only a small number of shares which would cost more for you to sell than they are worth, you may wish to consider donating them to the charity ShareGift (Registered Charity 1052686) which specialises in accepting such shares as donations. The relevant stock transfer form may be obtained from Computershare. There are no implications for Capital Gains Tax purposes (no gain or loss) on gifts of shares to charity. It is also possible to obtain income tax relief.

Further information about ShareGift may be obtained on 020 7930 3737 or from